Monday, September 25, 2006

TASK #86 Run a Marathon Update 3!


All right, I've made a few attempts to get started on this but laziness and rationalizing keep setting in, so I've made some more firm commitments.

  1. I renewed my old healthclub membership - I've already gone twice and have only run for about 20-30 minutes on the track.
  2. I've started doing laps around my own neighborhood. I'm winded after only a few blocks, but like they say, a journey of a thousand miles (or in this case 26.2 miles) begins with a single step.
  3. I've signed up for my first (half) marathon. It's a 13.1 mile run around a local resort area in Wisconsin called Lake Geneva, happening the second weekend of May, 2007. See my previous posts about the marathon run to find out how I found this. Anyway, I knew I had to take serious action to commit to making this happen, and actually signing up was a good step toward that. The second step will be telling people, like my family and friends so I have some social pressure to accomplish it.

Once I successfully run the half I'll sign up for the full Milwaukee Marathon just five months later, Oct 2007.

I've subscribed to the newsletter on www.marathonrookie.com - great site that offers tips and training to get you ready for 1/2 and full marathons.

On a somewhat related note - I've realized going through all these challenges, that rarely do we accomplish anything alone. So I'd like to thank Allyson B. for giving me her runners magazines, and Valerie S. for her emails prompting me to keep on keeping on.

That's all for now - see you at the finish line!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done for taking the first step towards your goal! I can't jog to save my life!

Your blog has inspired me to get on with fulfilling my own list so thank you!

Pablo Baez said...

Thank you LittleBT.
I'm glad to here my little adventures are inspiring others.

Check out the "List" link at the top of the blog for info on how I created my list.
http://101adventures.blogspot.com/2005/07/here-is-list-of-101.html

Best,

Pablo

Anonymous said...

Love the idea, and your blog!

Wanted you to know that you have a number of broken links on the "Here is the list of 101" post.